Subject: bug#36922: [PATCH] Add defalias toolbar-mode for tool-bar-mode

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 13:38:54 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I suggest to introduce a new (defalias 'toolbar-mode 'tool-bar-mode) to
> > accommodate users who are used to either spelling.
>
> FWIW, I disagree that we should do this.
>
> We should pick one name and try to stick with it.

I agree that we should try to be consistent.

> That's bad enough.  Now imagine if we started aliasing
> all of those.  And toolbar and filename are just the
> tip of the iceberg.

Right.  But I'm not suggesting to alias all of them.  I suggest to
make an alias only for one common command.  There already exists
several such convenience aliases in Emacs.

I guess one could argue that it's a slippery slope, and I think there
is some merit to that.  In my opinion, the solution is to be selective
about where to add such aliases.

> Just one opinion.

Thanks for that.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas