Subject: Re: [PATCH] automake: do not require @setfilename in Texinfo files

From: Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 09:53:34 +0200

Hello Jim,

Jim Meyering <[email-masked]> writes:

> Gavin Smith proposed a patch for this back in http://bugs.gnu.org/34201
> Another reference to the problem: http://bugs.gnu.org/36921
>
> In the attached (in Gavin's name), I've added a NEWS entry and
> adjusted the ChangeLog entry. Will push in a day or so if no comment.

Thanks for taking care of this. :-)

> From 309a6c477eec80b847078699303c65ccd7787eb0 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Gavin Smith <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 21:07:58 -0700
> Subject: [PATCH] automake: do not require @setfilename in Texinfo files
>
> Texinfo no longer requires a @setfilename directive in each
> .texi file, so automake now also relaxes its restriction.
> * bin/automake.in (scan_texinfo_file): Derive name of info file from
> name of input file if no @setfilename line occurs in the file.
> * t/txinfo-no-setfilename.sh: New test.
> * t/list-of-tests.mk: Add it.
> * NEWS: Mention it.
>
> Fixes automake bugs #36921 and #34201.
> ---

Not really important but HACKING <Writing a good commit message>
recommends a slightly different style.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
      topic: brief description (this is the "summary line")

      <reference to relevant bugs, if any>

      Here goes a more detailed explanation of why the commit is needed,
      and a general overview of what it does, and how.  This section
      should almost always be provided, possibly only with the expection
      of obvious fixes or very trivial changes.

      And if the detailed explanation is quite long or detailed, you can
      want to break it in more paragraphs.

      Then you can add references to relevant mailing list discussions
      (if any), with proper links.  But don't take this as an excuse for
      writing incomplete commit messages!  The "distilled" conclusions
      reached in such discussions should have been placed in the
      paragraphs above.

      Finally, here you can thank people that motivated or helped the
      change.  So, thanks to John Doe for bringing up the issue, and to
      J. Random Hacker for providing suggestions and testing the patch.

      <detailed list of touched files>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

-- 
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37