Subject: bug#36911: 26.1; Impossible to customise vc-ignore-dir-regexp

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 06:58:42 +0200

Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm trying to disable vc in a directory (an sshfs mount).  The obvious
> candidate is vc-ignore-dir-regexp:
>
>> vc-ignore-dir-regexp is a variable defined in ‘vc-hooks.el’.
>> Its value is
>> "\\`\\(?:[\\/][\\/][^\\/]+[\\/]\\|/\\(?:net\\|afs\\|\\.\\.\\.\\)/\\)\\'"
>
> It is essentially impossible for a normal user to customise this variable
> without disabling the existing functionality.  So for now, it's
>
>   (setq vc-handled-backends nil)

I'm not sure why it's impossible to customise that variable?  You can
just set it to "/my/ignored/directory" and that should work.

(You'd lose the original value, which is about AFS and SMB mounts, which
may be a sensible default, but which isn't relevant to most people
working in GNU/Linux.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no