Subject: bug#36903: 27.0.50; gnus registry vs. debbugs

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 19:36:43 -0700

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Yeah, I was too hasty with this whole thing. The backtrace you posted
>> seems to be unrelated to the registry issue I was trying to fix (at
>> least, I can't immediately see how it could arise from that),
>
> FWIW, your fix works for me.
>
>> but I'll see if I can reproduce.
>
> I can't, but I can if I do
>
> (with-eval-after-load 'gnus
>   (add-hook 'gnus-select-group-hook #'gnus-group-set-timestamp))

Okay, this is a completely different bug, coincidentally also caused by
changes I put in! The end of `gnus-group-set-info' tries to manipulate
`gnus-newsrc-alist', which is nil in the case of debbugs-gnu.

This all resulted from me trying to turn groups into objects, instead of
lists. If they were objects, we could edit them without having to worry
about breaking references to them. I can wrap this chunk of code in a
test to see if `gnus-newsrc-alist' is a list, but... I just wish groups
could be objects.