Subject: bug#36903: 27.0.50; gnus registry vs. debbugs

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 06:37:53 +0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I can do that for in-tree code, and my own packages, but who knows what
>> else is out there that might try something similar.
>
> Well, we can't control out-of-tree code, but Gnus should (in general) be
> able to generate a summary buffer without Gnus having been started -- I
> mean, that's a design goal.

Okay, I'll make that change in gnus-registry.el, and elsewhere. I'll
keep that design goal in mind, though I wouldn't be surprised if we run
into more weirdness in this situation where the user's gnus.el has been
loaded, but then Gnus itself shut down.

>> But it's probably a better solution than anything else I can think of.
>> I'd be inclined to just have them return an empty string. Another
>> possibility would be to have the formatting code wrap the user-function
>> funcall in `ignore-errors' and return an empty string there.
>
> That doesn't sound very friendly when trying to debug errors...

No, you're right, I was just throwing out ideas.