Subject: bug#36903: 27.0.50; gnus registry vs. debbugs

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 03:09:05 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Okay, so `gnus-registry-clear' should probably also run
> `gnus-registry-unload-hook'. You're not expecting the registry to be
> doing it's thing when you've shut down Gnus, but are using debbugs,
> right?

Yes.

But I didn't say that I would not expect the registry to work with
debbugs.  It would be good if it did - but I don't know if it's
technically possible.

> Would you try this definition:
>
> (defun gnus-registry-clear ()
>   "Clear the registry."
>   (setq gnus-registry-db nil)
>   (gnus-registry-unload-hook))

Well, that fixes - only one error.  I still get an error from

  (defalias 'gnus-user-format-function-M
  'gnus-registry-article-marks-to-chars)

so I have to redefine that one, too.  And even after doing this I get an
error related to Gnorb:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (cl-no-applicable-method registry-lookup nil ("<[email-masked]>"))
  signal(cl-no-applicable-method (registry-lookup nil ("<[email-masked]>")))
  #f(compiled-function (&rest args) #<bytecode 0x1588e6fb92f9>)(nil ("<[email-masked]>"))
  apply(#f(compiled-function (&rest args) #<bytecode 0x1588e6fb92f9>) nil ("<[email-masked]>"))
  registry-lookup(nil ("<[email-masked]>"))
  gnus-registry-get-or-make-entry("<[email-masked]>")
  gnus-registry-get-id-key("<[email-masked]>" gnorb-ids)
  gnorb-gnus-hint-relevant-message()
  run-hooks(gnus-select-article-hook)
  apply(run-hooks gnus-select-article-hook)
  gnus-run-hooks(gnus-select-article-hook)
  gnus-summary-display-article(3 nil)
  gnus-summary-select-article(nil nil pseudo)
  gnus-summary-scroll-up(1)
  funcall-interactively(gnus-summary-scroll-up 1)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-scroll-up nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-summary-scroll-up)

Michael.