Subject: Re: bug#36903: 27.0.50; gnus registry vs. debbugs

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 17:16:45 -0700

On 08/04/19 01:47 AM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> > AFAIU the problem is that gnus-registry-db is bound to nil *Bugs*
>>
>> Do you know why/where this is happening?
>
> The nil binding?  That can only be `gnus-registry-clear'.
>
> And I guess that explains why I do not see the problem always: when Gnus
> is running, it works, and it also works before Gnus has started for the
> first time.

Okay, so `gnus-registry-clear' should probably also run
`gnus-registry-unload-hook'. You're not expecting the registry to be
doing it's thing when you've shut down Gnus, but are using debbugs,
right?

Would you try this definition:

(defun gnus-registry-clear ()
  "Clear the registry."
  (setq gnus-registry-db nil)
  (gnus-registry-unload-hook))

Huh, right after the definition of `gnus-registry-unload-hook' is this
line:

(add-hook 'gnus-registry-unload-hook 'gnus-registry-unload-hook)

I wonder what that's supposed to mean. Perhaps it should have been a
gnus shutdown hook, in which case you wouldn't have seen this error...

Anyway, I still think a gnus shutdown is a better place to have this.

Eric