Subject: Re: bug#36902: Emacs crashed under X11 suddenly

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 17:42:31 +0200

tags 36902 + notabug
close 36902
quit

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: leo <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 19:35:23 +1000
>>
>> Yes, I have sometimes trouble interrupted X sessions.
>>
>> Sorry to hog you her on the bugs email, but is there a way to keep emacs
>> alive when the X session disappears? And then later, is it possible to
>> reconnect to that emacs session via a DISPLAY?
>
> You could start Emacs as a daemon and close the frames when you make a
> break, then X problems should not cause any harm, and you can restore
> the frames later with emacsclient.
>
> Otherwise, I don't think we can survive X problems which happen while
> you actually type.

So this does not seem to be due to Emacs, but due to interrupted X
sessions.  The workaround is to start Emacs as a daemon and use
emacsclient.

I'm therefore closing this as notabug.  Please reopen if there is
something that I've misunderstood.

Thanks,
Stefan Kangas