Subject: key-mon crashes on launch

From: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 16:40:53 -0600

1. install key-mon
2. run key-mon
it crashes:

(.key-mon-real:5006): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:23:06.088: Unable to locate
theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

(.key-mon-real:5006): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:23:06.092: Unable to locate
theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/gnu/store/jkjmj9l72rmnh642dyprnpwgmz4mn6cx-key-mon-
1.17/bin/.key-mon-real", line 3, in <module>
    km.main()
  File "/gnu/store/jkjmj9l72rmnh642dyprnpwgmz4mn6cx-key-mon-
1.17/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keymon/key_mon.py", line 1032, in main
    keymon = KeyMon(opts)
  File "/gnu/store/jkjmj9l72rmnh642dyprnpwgmz4mn6cx-key-mon-
1.17/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keymon/key_mon.py", line 130, in
__init__
    self.devices = xlib.XEvents()
  File "/gnu/store/jkjmj9l72rmnh642dyprnpwgmz4mn6cx-key-mon-
1.17/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keymon/xlib.py", line 80, in __init__
    self.record_display = display.Display()
  File "/gnu/store/4xl1xl2fp6c0c9f9pm1xm10x1qgbwp08-python2-xlib-
0.14/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/display.py", line 85, in __init__
    self.display = _BaseDisplay(display)
  File "/gnu/store/4xl1xl2fp6c0c9f9pm1xm10x1qgbwp08-python2-xlib-
0.14/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/display.py", line 67, in __init__
    apply(protocol.display.Display.__init__, (self, ) + args, keys)
  File "/gnu/store/4xl1xl2fp6c0c9f9pm1xm10x1qgbwp08-python2-xlib-
0.14/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Xlib/protocol/display.py", line 121,
in __init__
    raise error.DisplayConnectionError(self.display_name, r.reason)
Xlib.error.DisplayConnectionError: Can't connect to display ":1": No
protocol specified

One possible reason it crashes is the python2-xlib is far outdated. The
package was added in patch db62afa55ad443cc50bcafe64eb3ba239eae9c11
(2015) and has been version 0.14 ever since. The website says it has
been migrated to github, which says the most recent stable release is
0.25. It looks like there is a similar issue (though not identical) htt
ps://github.com/python-xlib/python-xlib/issues/53 which was fixed.

I will see if updating python2-xlib fixes this, and if so I will send a
patch.

Any objections?

-- 
-Jesse