Subject: 26.2; (global-eldoc-mode -1) should disable eldoc completely

From: Sanel Zukan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 12:30:38 +0200

When Emacs is run with (global-eldoc-mode -1), eldoc is not completely
disabled because it will show function arguments inside mode-line.

I believe intention behind (global-eldoc-mode -1) should be that all
eldoc facility gets disabled. Right now, the only way to stop poping
stuff in mode-line is this:

 (setq-default eldoc-message-function 'ignore)

Best,
Sanel

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2019-07-17 built on hive64.slackware.lan
Recent messages:
Saving file /home/sanel/.emacs.d/init.el...
Wrote /home/sanel/.emacs.d/init.el
Quit
Mark set
No completions of 2-
Hit space to flush
No completions of ../../../sta
Hit space to flush
GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9) of 2019-07-17 [2 times]
Making completion list... [3 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
 --program-prefix= --program-suffix= --mandir=/usr/man
 --infodir=/usr/info --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-x
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --build=x86_64-slackware-linux 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -fPIC''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GLIB NOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM
THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  imenu-list-minor-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  cl-old-struct-compat-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/evil/lib/ert hides /usr/share/emacs/26.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert

Features:
(shadow emacsbug zeal-at-point chistory hideshow imenu-list wttrin
xterm-color ol-notmuch etags xref project nroff-mode calc-undo calc-misc
org-notmuch ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util ediff face-remap linum fzf subr-x log-view
vc-annotate vc vc-dispatcher idomenu log4j-mode tramp-cmds
ido-select-window dired-aux declutter json map skeleton ack pcase
files-x tramp-cache tramp-sh pcmpl-gnu m4-mode make-mode markdown-mode
tabify cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
holidays hol-loaddefs cal-iso mm-archive debug conf-mode shr-color color
network-stream starttls url-http url-gw nsm url-cache url-auth woman man
timezone ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs flyspell sendmail ispell sort
gnus-alias mail-extr pcmpl-unix ffap em-unix em-term term ehelp
em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl
em-basic em-banner em-alias tex-mode latexenc ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox magit-key-mode magit view grep compile autorevert
filenotify git-rebase-mode git-commit-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log
ido cal-move dabbrev cua-base calc-alg calc-ext calc-menu calc
calc-loaddefs calc-macs cl-print eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage
dframe ob-ditaa ob-plantuml org-archive org-capture org-colview
org-crypt org-indent help-fns radix-tree org-table org-duration
org-clock elfeed-show elfeed-search elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl
elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib xml-query bookmark pp eww mm-url
url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util shr svg xml dom browse-url sh-script smie
executable ledger-mode ledger-check ledger-schedule ledger-xact
ledger-texi ledger-test ledger-sort ledger-report ledger-reconcile
ledger-post ledger-occur ledger-init ledger-fontify ledger-state
ledger-navigate ledger-fonts ledger-exec ledger-context ledger-complete
ledger-commodities esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-arg esh-util cus-edit
cus-start cus-load ledger-regex cpp cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds yaml-mode monroe clojure-mode rx imenu inf-lisp tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell vc-git
org-habit org-agenda org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader org-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org-element avl-tree
generator org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint comint
ansi-color ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
desktop frameset term/rxvt term/xterm xterm server elec-pair notmuch
hl-line notmuch-message notmuch-hello wid-edit notmuch-tree notmuch-show
notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-draft
notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company notmuch-parser
notmuch-wash diff-mode coolj notmuch-query goto-addr icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs notmuch-tag crm
notmuch-lib notmuch-version notmuch-compat message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
mm-view mml-smime mml-sec epa epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mail-utils time-date smime dig mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr evil
evil-integration undo-tree derived easy-mmode cl-extra help-mode diff cl
evil-maps evil-commands evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types
evil-search evil-ex evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core advice
evil-common windmove thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring edmacro
kmacro cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs disp-table
finder-inf dash-functional-autoloads f-autoloads dash-autoloads info
magit-autoloads git-rebase-mode-autoloads git-commit-mode-autoloads
php-mode-autoloads request-deferred-autoloads request-autoloads
deferred-autoloads s-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2917359 906660)
 (symbols 48 65421 3)
 (miscs 40 14616 29680)
 (strings 32 2687160 124540)
 (string-bytes 1 112066300)
 (vectors 16 700294)
 (vector-slots 8 7705491 218730)
 (floats 8 201985 20921)
 (intervals 56 52031 12167)
 (buffers 992 223)
 (heap 1024 402497 19420))