Subject: bug#36886: 26.2; (global-eldoc-mode -1) should disable eldoc completely

From: Sanel Zukan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 14:51:04 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> From: Sanel Zukan <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 11:35:29 +0200
>> 
>> 1. $ emacs -Q
>> 2. M-x (global-eldoc-mode -1)
>> ;; by not it should be disabled in mode-line, but if you do this:
>> 3. M-: (fboundp '    <-- after entering apostrophe, eldoc will show
>> 'fboundp' protoype in mode-line.
>
> So this only happens in M-:.  That wasn't evident from your original
> report.  global-eldoc-mode generally shows the signatures when point
> is inside any defun or other def* forms, not only in the minibuffer.

Hm... eldoc-message-function is part of eldoc package and I was hoping
that, by completely disabling eldoc-mode, it will revert whatever is
enabled when mode is initialized from that package. I guess different
views from user and developer points.

But I'm happy we are on the same page regarding this ticket.

> Thanks.

Thanks!
Sanel