Subject: Re: bug#36878: guix system reconfigure broken

From: [email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 12:45:49 -0400

Hi Robert,

Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> it appears that commit 5c8c8c455420af27189d6045b3599fe6e27ad012
>
>   guix system: Reimplement 'reconfigure’.
>
> breaks guix system reconfigure. In particular, after reconfiguring,
> shepherd doesn’t know about the updated versions of services.
>
> The usual output below is missing; after reverting the commit it’s
> fine again.

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by this? I can see that the
ouput has changed, but is Shepherd doing something that indicates that
it doesn't know about the new services? And is the line regarding
bootloader installation also missing from 'guix system reconfigure'
post-5c8c8c455?

> I see that some system tests for “guix system reconfigure” were added
> after this change. Might I suggest adding them before the change next
> time around, and making sure they pass both before and after?

Sure. My apologies for not having the foresight to do that.

Regards,
Jakob