Subject: Re: bug#36878: guix system reconfigure broken

From: [email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze)
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:59:57 -0400

Hi ison and Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> ison <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I made the mistake of rebooting my machine after I first got this
>> error, I thought perhaps it was benign. But when it came back up I
>> was dropped to a GRUB rescue shell with some error about
>> "grub_file_filters" being an unknown symbol.
>
> This eems unrelated. The problem sounds like GRUB and its modules
> aren’t found for some reason.

It is unrelated to this specific issue, but it still does sound like my
patch is the source of the problem. Would you be willing to open a
separate ticket for tracking this, ison?

>> When running grub commands like "insmod normal" would just repeat the error
>> or say command not found.
>> The only way I could think to repair it was to run the Guix install disk,
>> mount my partitions, and do another "guix init" which allows me to boot into
>> my machine again. However, when I run "guix pull" and then perform a
>> reconfigure I still keep seeing the same line:
>> shepherd: Evaluating user expression (let* ((services (map primitive-load (?))) # ?) ?)
>
> I reconfigured a workstation yesterday and also saw this line.  It does
> look like an error, but it seems to be completely harmless.  I could
> boot juts fine.  I suppose that’s just the part where new service
> definitions are loaded.
>
> The problem you’re seeing is unrelated to this output.

Yes, this output is normal. Shepherd loads service files by evaluating
Scheme expressions. I could have sworn that 'guix system reconfigure'
showed the same line prior to my patch.

ison -- I'm very sorry that you've had this experience. Would you be
willing to share the 'bootloader' field of your operating system
configuration so I can look into this?

Regards,
Jakob