Subject: bug#36878: guix system reconfigure broken

From: ison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 04:07:41 -0600

On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 11:11:31AM -0400, Jakob L. Kreuze wrote:
> The patch made it into master as 1db6f137d; thanks to Danny for signing
> off on it. Should we close this?

I'm still experiencing this issue. "guix describe" shows that I'm using
commit 35600cd which should be newer than the fix.

I made the mistake of rebooting my machine after I first got this error, I
thought perhaps it was benign. But when it came back up I was dropped to a
GRUB rescue shell with some error about "grub_file_filters" being an unknown
symbol.

When running grub commands like "insmod normal" would just repeat the error
or say command not found.
The only way I could think to repair it was to run the Guix install disk,
mount my partitions, and do another "guix init" which allows me to boot into
my machine again. However, when I run "guix pull" and then perform a
reconfigure I still keep seeing the same line:
shepherd: Evaluating user expression (let* ((services (map primitive-load (?))) # ?) ?)

I've tried this on several occasions over the last few days with different
commits following the supposed fix, and it still keeps doing the same thing,
and every time I follow the reconfigure with a reboot GRUB is broken again.