Subject: 26.1; Cannot install pacakges from elpa.gnu.org

From: Thorbjoern Willoch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 10:43:38 +0000

M-x package-install RET svg RET
gets error : https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/svg-1.0.el: Bad Request

using
M-x eww
on that URL works fine

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
  of 2018-09-10 built on x86-vm-07.build.eng.bos.redhat.com
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
Setting ‘package-selected-packages’ temporarily since "emacs -q" would 
overwrite customizations [2 times]
Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:443
package-install-from-archive: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/svg-1.0.el: 
Bad Request
previous-line: Beginning of buffer

Configured using:
  'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
  --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
  --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
  --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
  --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
  --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
  --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
  --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
  --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
  build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
  'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
  -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fexceptions
  -fstack-protector-strong -grecord-gcc-switches
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
  -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
  'LDFLAGS= -Wl,-z,relro,-z,now -fpie'
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
mail-utils network-stream starttls url-http tls gnutls mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc
puny url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit finder-inf package easymenu epg-config url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 136887 8094)
  (symbols 48 23606 1)
  (miscs 40 45 123)
  (strings 32 41601 1272)
  (string-bytes 1 1054358)
  (vectors 16 18451)
  (vector-slots 8 539837 7826)
  (floats 8 59 68)
  (intervals 56 311 0)
  (buffers 992 12))