Subject: Re: bug#36861: 27.0.50; display-fill-column-indicator-mode in log-edit-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 21:18:18 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> There is also the case when a user sets ?| by default and then call
>> the function. If the check we add is just
>> comparing to the default value then ?| will be always overwritten so
>> an extra internal variable will be needed to
>> cache where the ?| comes from.
>
> Not sure we need another variable.  After all, if the conditions
> stayed the same, the result will be the same as well, and you will
> overwrite the value with an identical one.  Right?

Reading the code, if display-fill-column-indicator-character is set,
then the mode will never do its computation to see whether we can use
the prettier U+2502 │ character.  We could special-case that, though,
and if it's ?|, then we replace it with ?│ (that is, ascii bar with
Unicode bar).

That would be kinda hacky, though, wouldn't it?  Then there would no way
to use the ASCII bar, for those that hate all things Unicode.

So we'd need another variable, unfortunately.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no