Subject: bug#36859: Customizable fit-window-to-buffer

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2019 10:00:20 +0200

>>> I hope it would be possible to specify a special action alist entry
 >>> in 'display-buffer-alist' , e.g.
 >>>
 >>>     (window-height . no-fit-window)
 >>
 >> Wouldn't just (window-height) suffice?
 >
 > Maybe, I'm not sure if the case when window-height is missing in alist
 > can be distinguished from the case when window-height is nil.

The important aspect is that a (window-height) entry effectively
overrides a (window-height . fit-window-to-buffer) one.

 > Or maybe 'shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer' could be added in the body
 > of another new ALIST argument 'post-display-function'.

Where would that 'post-display-function' be called?  This wouldn't be
any more in the scope of 'display-buffer'.

I'm still not convinced that this display buffer then fill buffer then
fit/shrink window according to buffer size metaphor makes any sense.
If we want to make the window size follow the buffer size, the buffer
should have been filled before being displayed.

martin