Subject: bug#36855: guix system switch-generation doesn't

From: Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 19:03:38 +0200

On 8. Aug 2019, at 18:40, Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> wrote:
> [email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze) writes:
> 
>> 'switch-to-system-generation' doesn't call out to
>> 'upgrade-shepherd-services'. I'm not sure if this was an intentional
>> decision or not
> 
> It is intentional, but only because there is currently no way to call
> upgrade-shepherd-services when switching system generations.

How does shepherd work on a non-guix system? Can’t be it be configured
like other daemons to read its configuration from a file, e.g. from

   /run/current-system/etc/shepherd.conf

and be told via signal to reload its configuration from disk?

…

(I feel a bit cheated right now. This behaviour makes Guix System entirely
unsuitable for server use. It shouldn’t be advertised as supporting
transactional upgrades and rollbacks if those require a reboot.)