Subject: bug#36852: 27.0.50; ietf-drums-parse-address doesn't handle non-ascii properly

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 14:00:28 +0200

Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]> writes:

> ietf-drums-parse-address (AKA mail-header-parse-address) uses
> ietf-drums-atext-token to parse display-name, but the regexp range only
> contains ASCII characters, so e.g. as used in debbugs-gnu-show-reports,
> the following happens:
>
>   (mail-header-parse-address
>    (decode-coding-string "Áaááá Ůůůůů <[email-masked]>" 'utf-8))
>
>   ;;=> ("[email-masked]" . "aááá")

That's not a valid email address, so perhaps `ietf-drums-parse-address'
should return a blank string as the name here...  On the other hand,
calling that function on something that's not an email address (which
debbugs-gnu does here) it should probably be free to return whatever.

> I'm not quite sure what the proper fix is, as the ASCII-only thing seems
> to be intentional. Maybe it's just not supposed to be used the way it is
> used in debbugs-gnu.el?

Indeed.  I've now changed debbugs-gnu to split the "OCTETS
<MORE-OCTETS>" string returned by the debbugs web server correctly.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no