Subject: [bug#36851] [PATCH] Add rclone-browser

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 10:44:46 +0200

Hello,

Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> * gnu/packages/sync.scm (rclone-browser): New variable.
>>
>> LGTM!
>
> Thank you for the review.
>
>> Note that, as noted in ‘HACKING’, it’s the kind of change that you can
>> push quickly if you don’t get any feedback.
>
> Well, this one had a question: should I also propagate `rclone'? Since
> I wasn't sure about it, I didn't applied the patch.

Oh indeed, sorry.  The general rule is that propagation should be
avoided as much as possible.  Is there a way you could ‘substitute*’ the
reference to ‘rclone’ in ‘rclone-browser’?

> Also, there is an issue : according to
> <https://martins.ninja/RcloneBrowser/>, the project is no longer active
> nor maintained.
>
> Should we bother anymore and package it?

It depends.  In general we’d rather not package unmaintained software.
However, there are cases where people do rely on unmaintained software,
for better or worse.

If you think that there’s no other options that fits the bill for you as
a user, maybe it’s a sign that we should package it, possibly removing
it later down the road.  Otherwise, perhaps we shouldn’t bother.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.