Subject: bug#36849: 26.2; Misleading info in Gnus info about nndiary

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 19:38:19 +0200

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 22:04:57 -0700
Allen Li wrote:

> The Gnus Info manual about nndiary says this:
>
> (info "(gnus)Sending or Not Sending")
>
>    • However, since ‘nndiary’ also has a ‘request-post’ method, you can
>      also use ‘C-u a’ instead of ‘C-u m’ on a diary group and the
>      message won’t actually be sent; just stored locally in the group.
>      This comes in very handy for private appointments.
>
> This is misleading because the "a" key for nndiary defaults to composing
> mail (I guess because nndiary is a mail backend).  This results in a
> message that is sent, which would be undesirable for a new user who may
> accidently mail something private.
>
> Instead, one must use the "S i" key to force composing a news post in
> order to 'request-post' to the nndiary group.

I don't use nndiary, but the way you describe this makes me wonder if it
is a misunderstanding.

Are you sure you tried 'C-u a' in the *Group* buffer? Note the
instructions say _on_ (i.e., in the *Group* buffer with point on the
group), not _in_ the diary group. IMO it should work as described. Also,
there is not even a "S i" binding in the *Group* buffer, whereas there
is one in the *Summary* buffer (i.e., when you enter the group), which
reinforces my suspicion.

-- 
Štěpán