Subject: Re: bug#36839: 26.1: unique frame names

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 14:54:29 -0400

On 2019-07-29 21:00, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 13:49:33 -0400
> > From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> >
> > I'm referring to the NAME parameter of the alist variable, which sets
> > the frame NAME that appears by default in the mode-line, and which is
> > used by function `select-frame-by-name'. I'm not sure what you mean by
> > frame title.
>
> You are describing a TTY frame.  OK.
>
> > I'm using C-x 5 b (M-x select-frame-by-name) to switch between frames
> > and in my case, I would like the names to be more informative than just
> > Fnn.
>
> Then give your frames names, you have functions to do that.  What
> exactly is the problem?

I'm trying really hard not to repeat myself here... Emacs has the alist
variable with the NAME parameter, so the presumption is that a user
should be able to use it in a useful manner, but when it is used, the
behavior of emacs changes to become less useful. Prior to manually
setting the NAME parameter, all created frames have unique names, but
once the name parameter is set by a user, all frames will have identical
names. The behavior should continue to ensure unique frame names.

>
> > In a more general sense, if emacs is offering the NAME parameter,
> > it should assume the parameter will be used, and currently emacs isn't
> > handling its use well.
>
> Can you show an example of "not handling its use well"?

That's the entire point of this report -- that duplicate frame names is
"not handling its use well".

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0