Subject: bug#36839: 26.1: unique frame names

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 14:00:12 -0400

On 2019-07-29 19:43, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Jul 29 2019, Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > My expectation is that emacs should by default create frames with unique
> > names, similar to how it uniquely names buffers, by appending a number
> > to what would otherwise be a duplicate name.
>
> There is nothing wrong with having duplicate frame names.

Are you insisting that it's not confusing to navigate the selection of
function `select-frame-by-name' when it offers duplicate names?

> The name is used for looking up X resources, but otherwise it is for
> information only.

'Information only' sound pretty significant to me. Also, see function
`select-frame-by-name'.

> A frame doesn't need to have a name.

When doesn't a frame have a name?

How can one use function `select-frame-by-name' is such a case?

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0