Subject: Re: bug#36839: 26.1: unique frame names

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 13:49:33 -0400

On 2019-07-29 20:00, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 12:16:06 -0400
> > From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
> >
> > My expectation is that emacs should by default create frames with unique
> > names, similar to how it uniquely names buffers, by appending a number
> > to what would otherwise be a duplicate name.
>
> Are you sure you don't confuse a frame's name with its title?

I'm referring to the NAME parameter of the alist variable, which sets
the frame NAME that appears by default in the mode-line, and which is
used by function `select-frame-by-name'. I'm not sure what you mean by
frame title.

> In general, a frame's name is Emacs's internal business, and is rarely
> if ever exposed to the user. About the only exception I know of is TTY
> frames. I'd be interested to know why you care about a frame's name,
> i.e. what is your use case.

I'm using C-x 5 b (M-x select-frame-by-name) to switch between frames
and in my case, I would like the names to be more informative than just
Fnn. In a more general sense, if emacs is offering the NAME parameter,
it should assume the parameter will be used, and currently emacs isn't
handling its use well.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0