Subject: bug#36837: 26.2; whitespace-mode: whitespace-line-column is not set to local fill-column

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 22:39:18 +0300

> From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 21:10:34 +0200
> 
> >> I.e., instead of restating the obvious (mode hooks are more general
> >> and should be overridden by file-local variables; no disagreement
> >> there), could you provide some concrete counter-arguments to my
> >> arguments?
> >
> > We just did, both of us.
> 
> OK. I don't see it that way or just don't get it, I'm sorry.

Once again: file-local variables is a way for a file to override
_every_ other possible setting.  That includes any user customizations
and everything else, because all of the other means to give variables
non-default values are not specific to one file, they always affect
more than one.

If that doesn't address your arguments, please consider elaborating
those arguments.