Subject: bug#36837: 26.2; whitespace-mode: whitespace-line-column is not set to local fill-column

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 17:11:39 +0200

On Fri, 02 Aug 2019 17:04:35 +0200
Andreas Schwab wrote:

> On Aug 02 2019, Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, unfortunately, file-local variables are only setup (via
>> `hack-local-variables') _after_ the mode hooks are run (cf.
>> `run-mode-hooks'), so `whitespace-color-on' still sees the original
>> `fill-column' the first time.
>>
>> Intuitively this order seems backwards to me, but I assume there must be
>> a (good?) reason? I'd like to hear it, in any case.
>
> I'd guess the reason is that file local variables should override mode
> stettings.

Sure, but isn't that precisely an argument for the reverse order?
Typically those settings are in defvars/defcustoms and thus if set
before loading the library the user value is respected. And on the other
hand those variables are often used for setup (during loading) which is
not automatically redone when modifying the value after the library is
loaded (such as is the very case of this report), unless using some of
the customize machinery, typically interactively.

-- 
Štěpán