Subject: bug#36828: 27.0.50; Uninstalled emacs shows installed documentation

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 21:20:51 +0200

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 21:48:08 +0300
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> In the situation described by Óscar, where the "installed" version
> wound up there by accident, sure.  But I don't think Emacs can
> discover that by just looking at the filesystem.

AFAICT we're only talking about one special case: running from source. I
can't see why Emacs couldn't handle that one special case (and prefer
the source tree to `configure'd paths), but I guess the only way to
really know is to study the source code, indeed.

> In a more general use case, where there are two copies of NEWS in two
> places where Emacs looks, not so sure.  It could be the other way
> around: the "installed" version could be a better candidate.  E.g.,
> when I have installed some version on my systems, I make changes in
> the installation tree, because it's simpler: it doesn't require me to
> say "make install".

You mean you then copy the files back into VCS to track the changes?
That's simpler?

Anyway, in such a case I see no ambiguity: you're running the installed
emacs, accessing the installed data files as `configure'd.

-- 
Štěpán