Subject: bug#36828: 27.0.50; Uninstalled emacs shows installed documentation

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 20:33:46 +0200

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 21:13:34 +0300
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I wasn't aware that Óscar meant to change entirely how Emacs finds all
> of its directories.  I still don't think that's what he meant.

I don't either, and I'm aware of how configure works (in general, I
wasn't aware of the --datadir option in particular).

> You certainly do, though.

Not really, I don't think so. And you still haven't replied to my
questions. So anyway, let's keep this focused and simple:

In the special case considered, do you agree that it would be better if
Emacs recognized that it was started from the source tree and showed the
corresponding NEWS file instead of the one installed?

Can you please answer that question?

>> Failing all that, if there is no prospect of change at all, would it be
>> possible to at least warn the user in cases like this? Something like
>> "The NEWS file you are accessing is not the one you probably think it
>> is"?
>
> You mean, instead of using the first NEWS we find, look in _all_ the
> possible places and print a warning if we find more than one NEWS
> file?

Again, "_all_ the possible places" seems vague, but please could I get
an answer to the one question above first? It seems crucial to me for
further discussion.

Thanks,

-- 
Štěpán