Subject: Re: bug#36828: 27.0.50; Uninstalled emacs shows installed documentation

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 18:08:33 +0200

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 18:11:45 +0300
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I think you are missing the perspective of someone who considers the
> current behavior to be TRT.

Certainly. So much that I can't even imagine why anybody would consider
that TRT (although I do try, and will appreciate if you try to explain).

> IOW, why should we assume that the version of NEWS in the source tree
> is necessarily more up-to-date/useful than the one in the installation
> directory.  It could be, but then it could not be.

Hm, it seems the misunderstanding is mutual.

Whether some version is more up-to-date or useful (whatever that means)
is besides the point. What I meant by "most relevant for the running
executable" and "obvious" above was simply what seems to me a case of
the principle of least surprise: if I run /usr/bin/emacs, I expect it to
use the same PREFIX for other things, i.e. /usr/share/emacs.... If I run
/usr/local/bin/emacs, I expect it to use /usr/local/share/emacs.... And
if I run src/emacs, I expect it to use the source tree.

Does that really seem less reasonable than your "TRT"?

I can imagine the current behaviour being hard to change, but that still
wouldn't make it the right thing IMO.

-- 
Štěpán