Subject: bug#36828: closed (Re: bug#36828: 27.0.50; Uninstalled emacs shows installed documentation)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 00:37:01 +0000

Your bug report

#36828: 27.0.50; Uninstalled emacs shows installed documentation

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36828: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36828
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36828: 27.0.50; Uninstalled emacs shows installed documentation
From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 02:36:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Thanks for the explanation.

> Bottom line: I'm not sure we should rock that particular boat for an
> unusual use case such as yours.

I don't think this case is so unusual: updating, building and running
the new Emacs (for minutes, hours or weeks) to check that it is ok
before installing. (My use case is a bit different, but equivalent.)

Anyways, this is not very important for me either. Closing.

Subject: 27.0.50; Uninstalled emacs shows installed documentation
From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 17:07:20 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On a build directory:

src/emacs -Q

C-h N

M-: (buffer-file-name)

"/usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/etc/NEWS"

Maybe this is caused because, time ago, I installed Emacs from the build
directory, but since I pulled new changes and rebuilt Emacs. So now
emacs instances launched from the build directory are showing stalled
documentation.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2019-07-28 built on sky
Repository revision: 77ee23d1ede9eece3eab4cc67d7f2e72d30a1117
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid