Subject: Re: bug#36828: 27.0.50; Uninstalled emacs shows installed documentation

From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 15:27:00 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> It sounds strange to solve only the issue with NEWS, but not with
> other documentation.

Agreed.

>> For the time being, I propose that we concentrate on NEWS, which
>> motivated this bug report. Then we can move on to the Info
>> documentation.
>
> OK, but then the logic in your proposed change changes too radically
> what we've been doing until now: it will cause Emacs to use the NEWS
> in the source tree even if you run the installed binary.  That is not
> TRT, IMO.

If my change causes that, it is no acceptable, indeed.

> We need some way of detecting the situation whereby Emacs is being run
> from a separate build directory, and using the NEWS from the source
> tree only then, as fallback.

Right now I must leave so a quick question: what about beginning with
setting data-directory to the source tree in init_callproc_1 when we are
running from a non-installed Emacs? (Assuming that we can detect that
condition)