Subject: bug#36812: closed (Re: bug#36811: Guix fails to build with libgc 8.0.4)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 10:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36811: Guile crashes with libgc 8.0.4

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36811: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36811
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36811: Guix fails to build with libgc 8.0.4
From: Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 11:23:03 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 11.03.20 15:13, Ludovic Courtès wrote:> With Guile 3.0.1 + the patch for
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/39266>, the command above succeeds.
>
> Specifically:
>
>   guix pull --commit=e4b5bdf7993590fefeb7182ae71beec4a9f69e3f
>   guix build --with-input=libgc@7=libgc@8 guile3.0-guix
>
> Could you confirm that it works for you?

That's working for me. I built guix with guile 3.0.1 plus the patch from
#39266 and the crash when building guix with more then two threads went
away!

Thank you, Ludovic! Closing this bug now :)

Subject: Guix fails to build with libgc 8.0.4
From: Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 20:26:15 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Some days ago Guix failed to build on openSUSE Tumbleweed. Today I
started to investigate it.

Guix fails to build on Tumbleweed with `make -j4` or a greater thread
count (see guile_coredump_building_guix.log)

It doesn't fail to build with `make -j3` or less threads and when
building inside of `guix environment --pure guix`.

I then started to look around what could differ between Tumbleweed and
guix environment. My first assumption was kind of hit :)

Tumbleweed is built since some days with libgc 8.0.4 and Guix is still
on 7.6.6. In my home project[0] I have built now Guix (and Guile) with
libgc 7.6.4, the version Tumbleweed used before. Guix builds now with
`make -j4` and greater again on Tumbleweed...

So it seems that guile is not compatible with libgc 8.x yet? Is this
correct?

I wanted to update libgc in guix but it has 5k dependencies, so I did not :P

Any Ideas how to fix this? Do you need any further information from me?

Cheers Jonathan

[0] https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:jbrielmaier:guix