Subject: Re: bug#36811: Guix fails to build with libgc 8.0.4

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 15:13:06 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Guix fails to build on Tumbleweed with `make -j4` or a greater thread
> count (see guile_coredump_building_guix.log)
>
> It doesn't fail to build with `make -j3` or less threads and when
> building inside of `guix environment --pure guix`.
>
> I then started to look around what could differ between Tumbleweed and
> guix environment. My first assumption was kind of hit :)
>
> Tumbleweed is built since some days with libgc 8.0.4 and Guix is still
> on 7.6.6. In my home project[0] I have built now Guix (and Guile) with
> libgc 7.6.4, the version Tumbleweed used before. Guix builds now with
> `make -j4` and greater again on Tumbleweed...
>
> So it seems that guile is not compatible with libgc 8.x yet? Is this
> correct?

To isolate the problem, how about:

  1. Defining a Guix package for libgc 8.0.4;

  2. Running “guix build guile --with-input=libgc@7=libgc@8” (or
     defining a package along these lines).

?

Thanks in advance,
Ludo’.