Subject: Re: bug#43708: 26.1; https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/nadvice-0.3.el: Bad Request

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 10:59:05 -0400

unarchive 36810
merge 43708 36810
quit

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> stevenwbuehler writes:
>
>> Attempting to update packages using `package-list`, the update stalls
>> with the subject message. 
>
> I think this is due to the outdated certificates included in Emacs
> 26.1.  This was the main reason for the Emacs 26.3 release, and you have
> to upgrade to that version to use package-list.

The bad request thing is due to a bug in how Emacs used libgnutls
(earlier versions of libgnutls didn't show any symptoms).  It's a good
retroactive justification for 26.3, though originally the main reason
was the GPG package-signing key expiring.

    (setq gnutls-algorithm-priority "NORMAL:-VERS-TLS1.3")

In your init file works around the bug in some cases.