Subject: bug#36809: "~nosuchuser" commit breaks tramp's scp

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 14:09:08 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yuri D'Elia wrote:
>
>> While testing today's build I noticed that tramp now hangs with the scp
>> method just after displaying 'tramp: Inserting <file>...done'.
>>
>> A quick bisect revealed commit a5063aa8b174db286a0e83b8ffdd4e65c521f733
>> to be the culprit.
>
> Thanks for mentioning that. Since I don't use Tramp I'm afraid I can't
> reproduce the problem from this terse bug report. So I'm replying to
> bug-gnu-emacs (so that we get a bug report number for this) and ccing
> to Michael Albinus (so that our Tramp expert sees it).

Like Paul, I'm not able to reproduce the problem. Using a build from
today with "emacs -Q", I apply "C-x C-f /scp::~nosuchuser". I get a
buffer "~nosuchuser" and the message "(New file)", which sounds OK. The
buffer's file name is "/scp:machine:/home/albinus/~nosuchuser", which is
also appropriate.

Yuri, could you pls describe in detail what you've done, and what has
failed?

Best regards, Michael.