Subject: bug#36809: "~nosuchuser" commit breaks tramp's scp

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 15:17:56 +0200

Yuri D'Elia <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Yuri,

> I'm opening any file with the syntax /scp:machine:/fullpath and it gets
> stuck just after "...done" is written. The file mode is irrelevant (any
> file will do). I can escape with C-g, but barely anything works after
> that (it's impossible to quit for example).
>
> Any idea on how to investigate where is it stuck? (there's no error
> being triggered).

Usually, you set tramp-verbose to 6 (or to 10, if it is a really nasty
problem). There will be a debug buffer, for analysis.

Look for traces with level (1), these are errors. Traces with level (6)
are the commands sent to the remote host, and the returned output.

If you don't understand the traces, show them. I will try to investigate
(but I'm just starting a one week vacation, so I'll won't be too
reactive).

> Reverting the specific commit does fix the issue, which is strange.
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem when starting with -Q, which is something
> I'm going to investigate, but I'm still puzzled.

Same here, I cannot reproduce the problem.

Best regards, Michael.