Subject: bug#36806: guix package -i guile-emacs takes Build too slow

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 14:53:19 +0200

Rostislav Svoboda <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi, I'm trying to install guile-emacs using:
>     guix package -i guile-emacs
> It's been running for almost 20 hours, most of the time at the step:
>     building /gnu/store/h8n0z0ihpykz076paavfcp4ply3qx6q0-guile-emacs-0.0.0-0.41120e0.drv...
>     \ 'build' phase
> Is it hanging or not? If not:
> - is there a way to show some progress bar?

Yes, you can pass “--verbosity=2” to see details.

> - 20+ hours isn't it a bit too long anyway?

We have little to no control over build times.  When a package is slow
to be compiled (such as a full bootstrap build of Guile) then it’s going
to take a long time.

I think, though, that Guile Emacs cannot actually be built at all, so
I’m expecting your 20+ hour build to eventually fail.  That’s why Guix
tries to build it locally in the first place instead of downloading a
ready-made binary from our build farm — because the build farm doesn’t
have a binary to offer (because it failed to build it).

This is the view from our build farm:

    https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=guile-emacs+spec%3Aguix-master+system%3Ax86_64-linux

Doesn’t look good.

-- 
Ricardo