Subject: Re: bug#36803: 27.0.50; Update mode-line of every window when compilation ends

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 19:01:55 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The only reliable way to inform the user that the compilation process is
>> still running is to spray all mode-lines with an indicator…
>
> I guess...  but it's not like Emacs doesn't have a lot of things that
> run asynchronously.  Very few of them alter the mode-line in all the
> modes.
>
> erc does, and that's very useful (it notifies you that somebody's sent
> you a message, for instance), but the compilation thing just doesn't
> seem that...  urgent?

Mmm…  I was about to say that since I often wait on compilation
processes to validate something before committing changes or sending an
email, I'd rather be notified immediately, but updating the mode-line to
remove the indicator is actually not that informative.  I still need to
bring up the compilation buffer to know whether the process succeeded…

So maybe cluttering every mode-line does not actually help that much,
indeed.