Subject: Re: bug#36803: 27.0.50; Update mode-line of every window when compilation ends

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 11:53:55 +0200

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

> Mmm, I guess the rationale is that since
>
> 1. the user may bury the compilation buffer if the process takes a long
>    time,
>
> 2. the user may miss the "Compilation finished" message (e.g. it can be
>    hidden by any movement command that triggers a "Mark set" message),
>
> The only reliable way to inform the user that the compilation process is
> still running is to spray all mode-lines with an indicator…

I guess...  but it's not like Emacs doesn't have a lot of things that
run asynchronously.  Very few of them alter the mode-line in all the
modes.

erc does, and that's very useful (it notifies you that somebody's sent
you a message, for instance), but the compilation thing just doesn't
seem that...  urgent?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no