Subject: bug#36803: 27.0.50; Update mode-line of every window when compilation ends

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 21:35:14 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> If the call to force-mode-line-update is the solution you suggest,
> then I think it is not a good solution.  We cannot rely in a call to
> force-mode-line-update, because there's the default sentinel, and
> because it's unreasonable to request each sentinel written in Lisp to
> make that call.  If every sentinel must do that, then the core should
> do that for them.

Well, when I was looking at where to move the "Compiling"
sort-of-lighter (from out of minor-mode-alist where it didn't belong), I
was looking for other modes that display things in mode lines in all
buffers -- and there doesn't seem to be many.

So while I agree that it seems more logical that this "should just
work", I think the problem is very limited in practice, and having
compile.el (as one of the very few packages that does this) call
force-mode-line-update wouldn't be an outrage.

(Another issue is whether compile.el should do this, and I kinda
think...  perhaps not?)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no