Subject: Re: bug#36786: Warn of AMD GPUs unusable with Guix System

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 21:05:06 +0200

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 05:42:49PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
>> We could make a list of known bad GPUs.
>>
>
> When thinking about it, a list of known bad GPUs might be legally
> safer than saying AMD GPUs are often bad.

I sympathize with the frustration that comes along with the realization
that hardware you own cannot be used with free software.  I would like
to alert people to the fact that certain GPUs won’t be usable with
linux-libre.

I just think that there might be a better distro-independent place for
this kind of information.  Some free distros suggest checking for free
software compatibility on h-node.org, a shared resource.  That’s also
where we could record known bad GPUs.

(h-node.org isn’t the prettiest resource out there, but perhaps this can
be changed.)

Do you think it would be enough if we pointed to h-node.org and
mentioned kernel flags that might be useful in certain generic cases?

--
Ricardo