Subject: bug#36767: 26.1; request: add more quick keys to the *Help* buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 21:25:12 +0300

> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:02:54 +0200
> 
> > Thanks.  But what I'd like to have is not a way of burying the Help
> > window, because I frequently need to consult it for quite some time.
> > What I'd like to have is a way of using its buttons without going to
> > that other window first.  For example, I'd love a command, bound to a
> > key globally, that would display the source of the function in the
> > same window as the Help window, then allow me to go back to the Help
> > window.
> 
> The command `help-view-source' that Lars recently added could probably
> help here, with some tweaking.  It calls
> help-function-def--button-function, which calls pop-to-buffer with no
> ACTION argument, which results in the source buffer being displayed a
> different window than the *Help* buffer's window.  So the first
> adjustment would be to add an optional ACTION argument.  As far a
> returning from the source file to the *Help* buffer, the easiest way I
> can think of to do that is if the source file is visited in View mode:
> then `q' would bury its buffer, returning to *Help* (I think).  Or would
> that not satisfy your use case?

I don't know, I'd have to try.

But surely, we could devise other methods to get back to the Help
buffer, ones that don't require View mode.