Subject: bug#36758: 27.0.50; Mac OS/Lucid/X11: crash with libharfbuzz

From: Simon Leinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 19:20:23 +0200

Simon Leinen writes:
> So I guess all I have to do is make sure Emacs doesn't use the old
> libfreetype in /opt/X11/lib, but rather the newer one in
> /usr/local/lib (and hope that that one works in an X11 environment...)

I finally managed to get the Emacs Makefiles put
-L/usr/local/opt/freetype/lib in front of -L/opt/X11/lib, and rebuilt my
Emacs binaries.  They now no longer crash when I open the message with
the Arabic font in GNUS.  Hooray!

So the problem was a typical "DLL hell" issue that I brought upon myself
by selecting an unusual combination of libraries.  I don't think there's
much for the Emacs developers to improve in this situation.  Therefore I
think this bug can safely be closed.

I wrote up my (fixed) build procedure on my blog:

https://blog.simon.leinen.ch/2019/07/compiling-emacs-on-mac-os-against-x11.html

This is mainly for my own reference - it's so convoluted that I rely on
config.log to reconstruct all the options... but the Internet is big,
and maybe it's even useful for someone else.

Thanks again for your kind help with this!

Best regards,
-- 
Simon.