Subject: 26.2; Eshell: eshell-visual-commands and tramp

From: Baptiste Strazzulla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 16:22:31 +0000

Hello,

I added git to the visual commands of eshell so that it would output git commands in an ansi-term buffer. This works well locally but running the same command remotely through tramp gives me the following error:

..: 1: exec: /ssh:<user>@<host>:/usr/bin/git: not found

even though git is installed on the remote machine. I came across this thread https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/17862/eshell-visual-commands-with-tramp offering to trigger a local shell on the remote host for visual commands but it's seems like an overkill. Is this bug-worthy?

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.8)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12005000
Recent messages:
Mark set [2 times]
Buffer "*eshell*<2>" has a running process; kill it? (y or n) y
Type t again to continue switching
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
<C-mouse-1> is undefined
Type t again to continue switching
Mark set [4 times]
Quit
Mark set [3 times]
next-line: End of buffer [3 times]
Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/q19l04vd2za80mk1845pz7r8cz29qk43-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/q19l04vd2za80mk1845pz7r8cz29qk43-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/9nrncjaxygfrr9q749pymcw3l9vywh0k-emacs-26.2
 --enable-fast-install --with-modules --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  symon-mode: t
  counsel-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/baptiste/guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /gnu/store/9nrncjaxygfrr9q749pymcw3l9vywh0k-emacs-26.2/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/baptiste/guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix-emacs hides /gnu/store/9nrncjaxygfrr9q749pymcw3l9vywh0k-emacs-26.2/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix-emacs
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/baptiste/guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/seq-2.20/seq hides /gnu/store/9nrncjaxygfrr9q749pymcw3l9vywh0k-emacs-26.2/share/emacs/26.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr goto-addr browse-url treadmill treadmill-history
treadmill-complete gerbil cmuscheme dired-aux all-the-icons-dired
dired-x smartparens-python python json map jka-compr tabify man
guix-ui-package guix-license guix-ui-store-item guix-auto-mode
guix-package guix-misc guix-location guix-read guix-help-vars guix-ui
guix-ui-messages guix-repl guix-external guix-geiser guix-guile
geiser-mode geiser-xref geiser-compile geiser-debug geiser-chibi
geiser-mit geiser-chez geiser-chicken geiser-racket geiser-guile
info-look info geiser-repl geiser-image geiser-company geiser-doc
geiser-menu geiser-edit geiser-completion geiser-autodoc geiser-eval
geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax scheme geiser-log geiser-popup
geiser-impl geiser-custom geiser-base bui bui-list bui-info bui-entry
bui-core bui-history bui-button cus-edit cus-start cus-load guix-popup
guix-profiles guix-utils guix bui-utils guix-config guix-build-config
sh-script smie executable noutline outline view emacsbug sendmail
bug-reference cl-print apropos eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage
dframe find-func help-fns radix-tree magit-extras magit-version
magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-popup magit-blame
magit-stash magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
magit-mode transient git-commit magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm
log-edit message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor fill-column-indicator
rainbow-delimiters company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic
company-eclim company-template company-bbdb company elec-pair macros
pcmpl-unix tramp-cmds files-x tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell parse-time format-spec
vc-git diff-mode em-unix em-term term ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls
em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias
em-tramp shell-switcher rswitcher disp-table linum whitespace exwm-randr
xcb-randr exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating
xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh
xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug symon battery pcomplete
esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups
eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util smartparens-config smartparens-text
smartparens counsel xdg xref project dired dired-loaddefs compile comint
ansi-color swiper ivy colir ivy-overlay ffap thingatpt
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode pcase spaceline-config
spaceline-segments s spaceline subr-x powerline advice
powerline-separators color powerline-themes dashboard dashboard-widgets
time recentf tree-widget wid-edit page-break-lines cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs bookmark pp all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons memoize server use-package-core winner ring paren
delsel gruvbox-dark-soft-theme gruvbox autothemer dash finder-inf
package epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq seq-25 byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv dashboard-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
racket-mode-autoloads magit-popup-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads
exwm-autoloads powerline-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
gruvbox-theme-autoloads shell-switcher-autoloads edmacro kmacro
use-package-autoloads xelb-autoloads dash-autoloads
edit-indirect-autoloads f-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads
all-the-icons-dired-autoloads hydra-autoloads ivy-autoloads
page-break-lines-autoloads autothemer-autoloads seq-autoloads
fill-column-indicator-autoloads faceup-autoloads company-autoloads
spaceline-autoloads diminish-autoloads smartparens-autoloads
bui-autoloads s-autoloads memoize-autoloads geiser-install geiser
guix-autoloads cl-extra help-mode easymenu cl-seq guix-emacs cl-macs gv
rx cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 666058 144383)
 (symbols 48 51371 1)
 (miscs 40 4551 1304)
 (strings 32 150060 16348)
 (string-bytes 1 4667700)
 (vectors 16 100457)
 (vector-slots 8 2479561 70338)
 (floats 8 902 931)
 (intervals 56 15233 7589)
 (buffers 992 89))