Subject: bug#36747: Official MesCC bootstrap binaries differ from my locally built ones

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 16:43:49 -0400

Hi Marius,

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:

> I wanted to check that the bootstrap-tarballs machinery still worked
> after merging the branch, since it was non-trivial.  Mainly to make the
> commit that created them reachable forever, but maybe we don't need it.

[...]

> [...] I will do this in a 'core-updates-next' branch.  I would also
> like to merge wip-binaries into it as a final step, unless someone has
> objections.

I think that 'wip-binaries' (or something close to it) should be merged
into 'master', rather than 'core-updates'.  That would allow people to
easily verify the new bootstrap binaries from 'master'.

Of course, anything merged into 'master' will eventually be merged into
'core-updates' as well, but no one will be able to verify the new
binaries from 'core-updates' anyway, because 'core-updates' has
different versions of 'bash', 'guile', and maybe some other things.

What do you think?

      Mark