Subject: bug#36747: Official MesCC bootstrap binaries differ from my locally built ones

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:26:30 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:

>> What I need is a way to build the new bootstrap tarballs without using
>> the existing 'core-updates' branch.  I need a way to build them from a
>> branch that's based upon the much older bootstrap binaries that we've
>> been using for many years.  Preferably, they should be built from
>> something close to current 'master'.
>>
>> Is this feasible?
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure how much work it would be.  If we're lucky then the
> recipes from gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm for mescc-tools-static-stripped
> and mes-minimal-stripped and their tarballs could be put into and used
> on master to build.  I'll have a look into this.

Yes, this probably works.  I have pushed a `wip-binaries' branch,
branched-off of current master and added recipes for mescc-tools and mes
bootstrap tarballs.

I have put the results of

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
./pre-inst-env guix build --system=i686-linux mes-minimal-stripped-tarball
./pre-inst-env guix build --system=i686-linux mescc-tools-static-stripped-tarball
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

here: http://lilypond.org/janneke/guix/20190722/

Once the patches are cleaned-up/we decide how we want it, we can build
and inject the resulting binaries into current core-updates.  I don't
really like it a lot to have built them on a totally new branch but it's
the best we can do right now, I think.

Greetings,
janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com