Subject: Re: bug#36747: Official MesCC bootstrap binaries differ from my locally built ones

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 10:27:11 -0400

Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Hmm, good point.  Perhaps we should postpone the Bash fix until the next
>> core-updates cycle. [...]
>
> Your call: if you think this Bash fix can be delayed without causing
> problems, then please revert it and we’ll apply it on the next cycle.
> That would allow us to merge ‘core-updates’ more quickly for sure!

Okay, let's delay the bash fix until the next cycle.

>> I tagged 'wip-binaries' and merged it into master, but there's an
>> undesirable side effect.  After the merge, "git describe" from 'master'
>> now returns "bootstrap-20190815-222-g32e18e9b94".
>
> I think that’s OK.
>
> Ideally, we’d have mentioned the commit used to build the binaries in
> the commit that actually adds those binaries to boostrap.scm.

Agreed, that was an important omission on my part.

> Maybe that can still be done with a Git graft?

I think it's easier than that.  I personally see no need to preserve the
branch 'core-updates-next', which has a different role than usual and is
arguably misnamed.  It's only 3 commits.  Of those 3, one has a faulty
commit log, and another should be postponed.  I could simply push the
revised commits to 'core-updates' directly.

What do you think?

      Mark