Subject: Re: [bug#36738] [PATCH] guix deploy: Support '--no-grafts' and '--system'

From: [email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 12:48:01 -0400

Hello Wenwu,
[email-masked] (宋文武) writes:

> Hello, this patch handle the '--no-grafts' command line option:
> ...
> And '--system', so I can deploy a "i686-linux" from my "x86_64-linux":

These patches look good to me, thank you!

Ludo, Dave, Chris, any additional comments?

> Or better we can add a 'system' field to the <machine> record, so we
> can deploy a list of machines with different 'system'. Currently a
> <machine> has 'system' as a field for the <operating-system>, so where
> to put this machine/arch 'system'...

Great idea. I think that continuing to call the machine's
<operating-system> 'system' would be confusing if we introduced the
notion of a target architecture, because we use "system" to refer to the
target architecture in the rest of Guix's command-line tools. Maybe it
would make sense to rename the <operating-system> field to 'os' or
something similar, and use the 'system' field to specify the target
architecture instead? Any thoughs?

Regards,
Jakob