Subject: [bug#36738] [PATCH] guix deploy: Support '--no-grafts' and '--system'

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 23:59:11 +0200

Christopher Lemmer Webber <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jakob L. Kreuze writes:
>
>> [email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze) writes:
>>
>>> Great idea. I think that continuing to call the machine's
>>> <operating-system> 'system' would be confusing if we introduced the
>>> notion of a target architecture, because we use "system" to refer to
>>> the target architecture in the rest of Guix's command-line tools.
>>> Maybe it would make sense to rename the <operating-system> field to
>>> 'os' or something similar, and use the 'system' field to specify the
>>> target architecture instead? Any thoughs?
>>
>> Actually, I had a thought. Why should we make this explicit, when we
>> could take an implicit approach and identify the target's architecture
>> with 'remote-eval'? Ideally, we'll be probing the machines anyway to
>> implement safety checks on the <operating-system> declaration, so why
>> not just add this to our list of pre-deployment tests?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jakob
>
> Maybe a good idea... let me think.  Is there any case where we start
> taking actions *before* we might probe a machine that we can think of?

I don’t know if this qualifies, but if “guix deploy” were to *create* a
machine (e.g. on EC2 via the Guile AWS library) it wouldn’t be able to
probe it first.  But in that case we would have full control over what
the target would be, so no probing would be required.

--
Ricardo