Subject: Re: bug#36729: 27.0.50; Unclear total in directory listing

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 16:02:28 +0200

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

> An alternative is to do for "total used" what was done for "available".
> On systems that use `ls' (at least the GNU version), users can do that
> by setting the environment variable BLOCK_SIZE, but since the change to
> the display of "available" was unconditional (if I'm not mistaken), we
> could do the same for the display of "total used", e.g. as in the below
> patch. 

[...]

> +	(block-size (getenv "BLOCK_SIZE"))
>  	end)
> +    (setenv "BLOCK_SIZE" "si")

[...]

> -      (dired-insert-set-properties content-point (point)))))
> +      (dired-insert-set-properties content-point (point)))
> +    (if block-size
> +	(setenv "BLOCK_SIZE" block-size)
> +      (setenv-internal process-environment "BLOCK_SIZE" nil t))))

Makes sense to me, but this should probably be protected by an
`unwind-protect' to ensure that things get properly reset.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no